The Federal Trade Commission mandated that all utilities adopt "Red Flag Rules", an identity theft prevention program.  The City adopted a resolution addressing this mandate in April 2009.

For all new water utility accounts in the City of DuPont, Resolution 09-368  requires certain identifying information that may be used alone or in conjunction with any other information to identify a specific person. This can include name, address, telephone number, driver's license number, social security number or taxpayer identification number or government passport number.

Process to start services:

  1. First, your renter will submit their Start Service Application Form
  2. Next, we will send you, the landlord or property management company, an email with a link to the Rental Authorization Form.
  3. When you receive the email from us with a link to the Rental Authorization Form, simply fill out the form and click “Submit”; it’s that easy! You might notice the form has been updated and is more convenient for you to fill out and submit electronically.  (Remember, the utility bill will remain in the owner’s name – and sent to the owner for payment - until the Rental Authorization Form is submitted!)
  4. Once you complete and submit the Rental Authorization form, a new account number will be assigned to the property and an email will be sent to the renter with the new account number, instructions on how to pay the initial fee and deposit, and how to use automatic bill pay. 

Renters, homeowners, or the Management Company, need to submit a Stop Service Request Form when the renter moves out and terminates their contract or sells their property.

All utility accounts are charged a $25.00 administrative set-up fee.  If you rent out your property and choose to have the City set up separate utility accounts for your tenants, you will be charged the administrative fee each time the City has to return the utility account back to your name (owner) after the tenant moves out.

All renters are charged a $100.00 deposit, which can only be waived by the owner/property manager (Utility Deposit Waiver Form).  The deposit will be refunded at the time the utility account is closed.

For service changes or questions regarding billing, contact the Water/Stormwater Utility Billing Department at (253) 912-5210 or City Hall's main line at (253) 964-8121.