The all black cavalry regiment Buffalo Soldiers arrived at Camp Nisqually, located on the banks of the Sequalitchew Creek near what today is known as Center Drive in DuPont, Washington in 1904. The Buffalo Soldiers were ordered to bivouac at Camp Nisqually and join in with five National Guard units from Oregon, Washington, and Idaho for training maneuvers. All six units included 272 officers and 3739 enlisted men. This was the largest military gathering on the West Coast up to that time. It was the only military exercise to include an all-black regiment. The event was the genesis of a modern Joint Base Lewis McChord.
Want to learn more about the history of DuPont?
Visit the Dupont Museum website.
DRAFT DuPont Heritage Plan