- Use a door viewer before opening your door. Always demand identification from strangers (even repair or sales persons).
- Always lock up your home before leaving and don't hide your house keys outdoors anywhere.
- Have keys ready and in your hand for immediate use when you return home.
- Use interior and exterior lighting at all times.
- Shred credit card offers and bank statements before you throw them away if you do not plan on using them.
- Hide or destroy boxes from expensive purchases.
- Do not answer personal questions about your home such as type of alarm, daytime occupancy, etc.
- Do not let people inside your home (to use the bathroom, phone, etc.).
- Avoid mail theft by obtaining a locked mailbox and dropping off outgoing mail at the local post office.
- Do not give out your personal information or credit card number over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- Safeguard your home and yourself while you are away with Vacation Safety.