- Plan your route ahead of time. Never walk alone at night; walk with a friend or your dog.
- Use well-lit streets, not dark alleys or bushy areas.
- Carry signaling devices like shriek alarms or a whistle.
- Carry defensive devices such as pepper spray.
- Be alert to what's all around you! Look behind you occasionally.
- Never ask for or accept a ride from a stranger.
- Don't carry large sums of money or wear valuable jewelry.
- Don't resist an armed robber. Hand over whatever is demanded quickly and quietly.
- Remember, your life and safety is worth more than any personal property.